D'orso

Moderatoren: Heidrun Eichler, Johannes Meinel, STELOL

Antworten
marttiko

D'orso

Beitrag von marttiko »

Hallo aus Finnland!

Ich spreche kein Deutsch, aber versuchen wir es mit Google Translator.

Ich interessiere mich für Informationen zu D’orso-Gitarren. Ich habe nach älteren Akustikgitarren gesucht, aber Finnland hat keine lange Gitarrentradition, daher sind sie hier ziemlich selten. Wir hatten Anfang des 20. Jahrhunderts einige Gitarrenbauer, aber nicht viele. Jaakko Noso hat aber ein paar gute Gitarren gebaut und eines Tages werde ich mir eine kaufen. Aber jetzt nicht. Jetzt interessiere ich mich für eine D'orso Lautengitarre. Mein Freund verkauft es und ich habe es noch nicht gespielt, da er nicht in meiner Nähe wohnt.

Ich habe versucht, Informationen über sie zu finden, aber ich habe nicht wirklich viel herausgefunden. Jemand schrieb, dass es mehrere Geigenbauer gab, die Instrumente für die Marke D’orso herstellten, aber ich weiß nicht, ob das stimmt.

Deshalb interessiert mich fast alles, was Sie mir darüber erzählen können. Sind sie gut gemacht und feine Instrumente?

. . .

I don't believe many of you speak finnish, but english is easier than german for me if that's okay. I can of course work with translator too.

I don't know if that is conceivable or not. Here it is in english:

Hello from Finland!

I don’t speak German but let’s try with google translator.

I’m interested in information about D’orso guitars. I’ve been searching for older acoustic guitar, but Finland doesn’t have a long tradition of guitars, so they are quite rare here. We have had some luthiers in the early 1900's, but not many. Jaakko Noso made some fine guitars though and some day I'm going to buy one. But not now. Now I'm interested in a D’orso lute guitar. My friend is selling it and I haven't yet played it as he doesn't live near me.

I’ve been trying to find information about them, but I haven’t really found out much. Someone wrote that there were several luthiers who made instruments for the D’orso brand, but I don’t know if that’s true.

So I’m interested in almost anything you can tell me about it. Are they well made and fine instruments?

Taylor_T5-S

Re: D'orso

Beitrag von Taylor_T5-S »

Hello and welcome!

I don't know about d'Orso but found a few instruments with such labels. I don't think they are from the Klingenthal/Markneukirchen area, they might be from Bohemia (Böhmen).

Ralf
Dateianhänge
d'Orso2.JPG
d'Orso.JPG

marttiko

Beitrag von marttiko »

Some unreliable internet sources say they are from Markneukirchen. I found some mention about Bohemia too, but nothing certain.

I haven't found any mention in old newspapers, magazines or in other materials digitized by Finnish national library or in the Internet archive.

I should continue searching.

Anyway, here are some pictures my friend sent me. There are some repaired cracks. There's quite big patch next to 12. fret. Tuners and bridge has been changed. But the repairs seem like they were done well.
Dateianhänge
_DSC93751660622076695.jpeg
_DSC93841660622078020.jpeg
_DSC93611660622077399.jpeg
_DSC93731660622135801.jpeg

Taylor_T5-S

A forum article by Heidrun Eichler gave some more info:
viewtopic.php?p=10664#p10664

According to the "Weltadressbuch der gesamten Musikinstrumenten-Industrie" by Paul de Wit in 1906
https://digital.sim.spk-berlin.de/viewe ... 8511X/191/
there was a company called Roth & Lederer at Breite Strasse 502, Markneukirchen.
The company was founded in 1901.
And according to Heidrun that company used many brandnames and one was "d'ORSO"!
But they were a trading company as well, according to the book they only produced violines and parts, hence the "d'ORSO" guitars and luthes were most probably made by other companies for them. So they might have originated from instrument makers in Bohemia (the border was just a few kilometers away) or even elsewhere.

Ralf

marttiko

Beitrag von marttiko »

Taylor_T5-S hat geschrieben:
Fr 26. Aug 2022, 14:09
A forum article by Heidrun Eichler gave some more info:
viewtopic.php?p=10664#p10664

According to the "Weltadressbuch der gesamten Musikinstrumenten-Industrie" by Paul de Wit in 1906
https://digital.sim.spk-berlin.de/viewe ... 8511X/191/
there was a company called Roth & Lederer at Breite Strasse 502, Markneukirchen.
The company was founded in 1901.
And according to Heidrun that company used many brandnames and one was "d'ORSO"!
But they were a trading company as well, according to the book they only produced violines and parts, hence the "d'ORSO" guitars and luthes were most probably made by other companies for them. So they might have originated from instrument makers in Bohemia (the border was just a few kilometers away) or even elsewhere.

Ralf
Many thanks! That's more information than what I had before.

I'm visiting the seller next wednesday and buy the guitar if it's not in too bad shape.

Taylor_T5-S

Hello marttiko,

so did you buy her?

Ralf

marttiko

Beitrag von marttiko »

Taylor_T5-S hat geschrieben:
Sa 17. Sep 2022, 19:20
Hello marttiko,

so did you buy her?

Ralf
Yes I did. There is some problems with it, but nothing really serious - at least I hope so.

There's a crack in the top which I didn't notice at first. I have played it quite much, but not anymore before I get the crack fixed. Action is a little high, just over 5mm in the 9th fret, which is where the neck meets the body. Frets on the top are worn and some of them need replacing.

High string action might be because the bulb on the top. It seems someone has used too heavy strings in it. It's not bad, but it might affect the string height. I restrung it with low tension nylon strings. I'm not sure if the top needs work or is it enough to shave some wood from the bridge as it isn't original. The neck is in very good shape. It hasn't bent a bit.

The bridge and tuners are from the eighties. I noticed a piece of paper in the guitar which says "Renoviert mit gottes hilfe 17 märz 1984 von Peter Sulc". Repairs don't seem to be top notch, and maybe Peter didn't set the string height low enough when installing new bridge.

Unfortunately the seller didn't know the history of this guitar, but it seems that it has been in Germany for quite a long time before arriving to Finland.

I'm currently studying built heritage restauration. There's a luthier department in our school too. I've been thinking about visiting them with the D'orso to get some professional insight about what has to be fixed and how it should be done. I'm going to do the repairs myself, but I'm not going to hurry them. I spoke to a local luthier few days ago and he told he teaches intrument making courses in a local adult education center. If the repairs are too difficult for me to do by myself I'm taking one of his repair courses.

I like the instrument a lot. It has 600mm scale and the neck is narrow. It took some time to get used to, and my fingers are almost too thick for some pieces, but after some hours of playing I started to get the hang of it.

After a week or so it felt like the sound began to open. It's not obviously as loud as modern classical guitar, but it is responsive and balanced. It may not be an instrument of the highest quality, but fine quality at least.

All in all, though I paid more than would be wise considering my current financial situation I don't regret buying it even if I have to do some repairs. I'm an amateur player and I like playing renaissance pieces as well as more modern music. This works very well with those older pieces, but not so well in some newer music, for example Walton's bagatelle 2, which I'm currently learning. I have no intention of selling this (I've been offered more than what I paid for it), and it fits my needs very well. I don't mind if I have to use my time and learn new skills to get it just right.

robotski

Beitrag von robotski »

marttiko hat geschrieben:
Sa 01. Okt 2022, 6:58

I'm currently studying built heritage restauration. There's a luthier department in our school too. I've been thinking about visiting them with the D'orso to get some professional insight about what has to be fixed and how it should be done. I'm going to do the repairs myself, but I'm not going to hurry them. I spoke to a local luthier few days ago and he told he teaches intrument making courses in a local adult education center. If the repairs are too difficult for me to do by myself I'm taking one of his repair courses.

I like the instrument a lot. It has 600mm scale and the neck is narrow. It took some time to get used to, and my fingers are almost too thick for some pieces, but after some hours of playing I started to get the hang of it.

After a week or so it felt like the sound began to open. It's not obviously as loud as modern classical guitar, but it is responsive and balanced. It may not be an instrument of the highest quality, but fine quality at least.

All in all, though I paid more than would be wise considering my current financial situation I don't regret buying it even if I have to do some repairs. I'm an amateur player and I like playing renaissance pieces as well as more modern music. This works very well with those older pieces, but not so well in some newer music, for example Walton's bagatelle 2, which I'm currently learning. I have no intention of selling this (I've been offered more than what I paid for it), and it fits my needs very well. I don't mind if I have to use my time and learn new skills to get it just right.
Sound great. Maybe I also need to find a guitar that suits me. Do you have anything to share with those just starting out?
Dean Daniels penalty kick online

Antworten