B&S Baritone Series 1000 Information Wanted

Moderatoren: Dr. Enrico Weller, Mario Weller

Antworten
Weisskissel

B&S Baritone Series 1000 Information Wanted

Beitrag von Weisskissel »

Greetings to all from a new member.
I have purchased a B&S baritone Series 1000 and have been trying to find some information on the horn with only minimum success on forums in the US.
I am hoping some folks here can help.
My baritone is a Series 1000 and I am aware that there is also a Series 1000 III. What are the differences in the horns? And what are the dates of production assuming there was a model changeover date at some point? I understand that the Series 1000 saxes were made between 1998 and 2006?
Lastly, my bari has a serial # of 0110XX. Can anyone provide a production date for this sax?
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

tobi

Re: B&S Baritone Series 1000 Information Wanted

Beitrag von tobi »

Hi,

As far as I know, Series 1000 saxophones have been made between 1993 and 1998, not between 1998 and 2006.

SN 0110xx is uncommon. We don't have secrets in this forum. Why do you not disclose the full number?

However, your bari should have been made around 1997 plus/minus. The serial number list is unfortunately lost.

I couldn't find any explanation about the change from Series 1000 to Series 1000 III.
But I'm quite sure that this change didn't take place for the baris. It was just valid for the Altos and for the Tenors.

Regards,
Tobi.

Weisskissel

Tobi,
Thank you for the reply and the information provided.

I meant no disrespect regarding the serial #. The full # is 011092.

It is common practice here in the US to leave off the last 2 or 3 numbers of a serial #. It stems from a scam that was going on a few years ago where someone would see photos of a saxophone, claim the saxophone was stolen from them, and then would have the full serial number to support the claim. It was not a common problem, but it did happen, and caused headaches for the real owner. To prevent this, most people started to remove the last few numbers when making inquiries or sharing photos since those last numbers rarely had any effect on the information being sought.

It is also commonly accepted here that the Series 1000 saxes were made from 1998-2006. Most sax specific forums here in US quote those dates. I always thought that those dates were inaccurate and that the saxes were more likely made in the early 90s. Your information seems to confirm this.

I had read that the baritone saxes were not changed when the alto and tenors were upgraded but did not make the connection to that being the 1000 to 1000 iii period, so that is why I have never seen a Series 1000 iii baritone.

Once again, thank you for your reply to my questions.

tobi

Beitrag von tobi »

You are welcome!

Actually, I was not aware of the logic not to disclose the last digits. Now I understand - makes absolutely sense to me. Thank you.

By the way, there is as well the change from Series 2001 to Series 2001 IV. I could not find any logic here as well. Except, that around the change, there was the introduction of the "non-stick-gis".

tobi

Beitrag von tobi »

by the way - which is the most comprehensive forum in the US - takling about German / Czechoslovakian Saxophones?
Thanks a lot for the advice.

Weisskissel

Tobi,
If you have not already tried them, here are two where you might some information:

Sax On The Web.net Subforum: Saxophone Makes and Models - Subforum: B&S, Guardala, and Huller US Based forum

Bassic Sax: Subforum: Vintage Saxes - Subforum European Made Saxes Canadian Based forum

BY the way, you will see a lot of serial # ending with XXX on the US- based forum

Regards,
Kurt (weisskissel)

Antworten