Willibald Raab

Moderatoren: Heidrun Eichler, Johannes Meinel, Udo Kretzschmann

Antworten
jwcrane

Willibald Raab

Beitrag von jwcrane »

Greetings from Tasmania, Australia.

I'm after information about the violin maker Willibald Raab. He was originally in Schonbach before relocating to Mittenwald in 1948. I have an instrument with a label of his stating it was made in mittenwald in 1950. Apparently he moved at some point to Bubenreuth and was a teacher at instrument making school there. There is one post on this forum stating that he was a teacher of Eric Roth. But after that, the trail goes cold. Can anyone add to this story?

All the best

James

salsagirlfriend
Re: Willibald Raab

Beitrag von salsagirlfriend »

As far as I know of violin maker Willibald Raab:
Willibald Raab trained in Schönbach, but spent most of his working life in Mittenwald – this violin shows elements of both traditions, but basic it's just a great modern German violin. The work is very clean with soft rounded edges, the profile is broad and the arching quite flat. The wood is exceptional, in particular the rather smoky one-piece back.

Length of back 35.6cm, stop 130/195mm, total length 58.7cm
flappy bird

Udo Kretzschmann
Geigenbaumeister
Re: Willibald Raab

Beitrag von Udo Kretzschmann »

Hello,

perhaps I can add a little:

Willibald Raab lerned at the violin making school in Schönbach under Wenzl Pötzl until 1918. He then worked in the workshops of Karl Raab and Adolf Fritsch in Schönbach, after that with Josef Tichy.

In 1924 he set up his own business in Schönbach.

After the war, he first went to Mittenwald and then to Bubenreuth in 1951. He taught at the school there until 1965. Willibald Raab died in 1968.

Best greetings

Udo

Antworten